Another Day

2 comments
Up at dawn, to dwell in the word, to pray into silence,  to wander round the animals, on land we own, surrounding my home.
Meaningful work in a thriving,  beautifully designed garden, work for the draft pony, a full order book, a market stall to fill, a packing shed to sort, baskets of sustenance, flags fluttering. Chattering customers, talk with like minded producers, a web of stuff happening.
Quiet work on writing, useful articles and dream-filled stories, blog posts and business plans, epic histories and shopping list-eries. Walking dogs by rivers. Lunch on a log with salad in situ.
Busy, happy family,  full of health and wealth and fiery eyed ambitions. Coming and going, team working and building bridges to futures.
Outdoor food together, with twinkling lights and candles, a crackling fire and hot fresh pizza from a cob oven. Sweet elderflower wine and laughter. Friends, associates, and passers by.
The clean smell of fresh-painted walls and billowing clean curtains,  bats in the darkness,  a yard or two of yarn, smokey cocoa and blessing goodnight.
Sleeping early with the promise of another day of great  heart filling work.


That. Is my dream day.






Now here you see through our baby forest garden, a path, mown along what, in permaculture, we call desire lines.  (I took this photo for Mel, following the sad removal of her own desire lines, in a tragic though well meant neighbourly act of generosity incident)

Desire Lines are paths you observe, the paths you take, the ways you tread to go about your days, and as permaculturists, we observe and observe, and when we design the space, we choose to place paths where those paths want to be, where we want to walk.

Now interestingly, my dream of a day, is like a kind of life desire line. That is where I want to walk. It's not so outrageous. The elements are mostly here, I lack a little faith and a lot of application, but my desire lines are true.

What's gone wrong, is I have laid the paths in other places. I have not observed and interacted,  I did not watch where my feet fell in dreams and aspirations, and carefully carve out happy, firm foundations, dressed with firm square herringbone bricks of work and study, attention to detail. I did not look up. I walked onward and onward, and my feet wandered on and off the path.

Sometimes my harried steps linger for an hour or two on those hallowed paths, and oh! the relief! To walk on the short grass, to tread the path of intention.  Too often though, the paths I've carved are off in the rough, full of thistles and nettles, damp and clinging round my knees, slowing me down, holding me far far from those  desired days.

However. I believe it can be done. I can get back to the old paths. I must surely believe it.

Where are your Desire Lines trodden? Do you walk them daily? Or have you wandered away from your dream paths?


2 comments:

Antoinette said...

Discovered you via the lovely Mel : )

What you say about desire lines really resonated with me, and the wisdom of permaculture, I suppose, is that it highlights to us where we put our energy, our time, and focus.

And your insight regarding laying paths in other places, not observing and interacting - well, I sat up and thought about how I do this myself. Even though I'm trying to be mindful and observant about the land where I dwell, there are other observances in our lives that are required, hey?

Thanks for this. I really enjoy your writing - your dream day is just gorgeous : )

mel said...

oh! i was reading the first bit and thinking to myself..what a marvelous day you're having...i really did think it was Real! so that just goes to show you, how perfect and natural your dream day is.

and what an incredible insight about the desire lines -- i hadn't thought of it in relation to my life paths. hot diggity! it makes such sense! and i'm very guilty of not paying attention to what ought to be clear and well-trodden paths.....hmmmm...much to think about here, thank you so much.

xoxo

Powered by Blogger.
Follow Me on Pinterest