Listing to Starboard

3 comments
Lists. Specifically, To Do Lists. Do you do 'To Do'?!

At work, I am very organised. I work from my distant memory of Stephen Covey's '7 Habits'. I spend the first five minutes listing all the things I need to do. Then I categorise them all 1, 2 or 3. Then I sub them a, b, c etc. Then I start at 1a and work all through the '1's, then the '2's and if we're very lucky or I've decided against going home that night, the '3's. Mostly, though, '3's work their way up the following day's list, or get delegated, or become extinct.

At home, this is well nigh impossible. Everything is too fluid. I can't stack things nearly so neatly. Today for example, the weather forecast said the morning would be nice, but it might turn wet later, so I did the outdoor stuff first.  The sun was still shining at 5.30 p.m. but there we go.

My gardening list said check up on flower seeds (to see what needs planting) and make a start on the potatoes. I sort of did those things, but about a half a dozen other things as well, while I was about it. I planted dahlia bulbs, and weeded garlic, and hoed  between the broad beans. It was lovely out there.

However, I now come to look at my list, and although I did also go and do daughter's horse, fetch animal feed, pop into Lidls, make supper and now I am dutifully producing a blog post - 5,000 words on a story, a cleaned off table in the mid-transformation bedroom, a start on a recipe file/menu plan folder for use when I am working 5 days a week so that anyone can cook dinner, the placing of one excess book per day on e-bay ... all these things remain unchecked! It is now 9.30, and with the best will in the world, most of them will stay that way.

Tomorrow, I'm taking the girls into Oxford. It's the one slightly spendy trip of the Easter Holidays/My week off, and I will likely spend very little other than the petrol and getting them some lunch. It's really more a chance for them to spend some money, and actually to spend far too long in Waterstones.

Friday is the end of the week! I'm going to have a whole nother To Do List by then!

How do you manage your To Dos?  Are you a lister, or a go with the flow type?

If you list, what do you do with the drop-offs?!

3 comments:

Old Paths Cottage said...

I write great long to-do lists on various scraps of paper and notebooks, in random order as I think of things! BUT it can be days before I look at the list again ....or even find it!! I do have a blackboard in the kitchen which we try and write important reminders on and note down who is out but we do fire get to do that too !!!! Enjoy Oxford !

sustainablemum said...

I use my diary to write my to dos in. I have a long list in the back and then I write a few things for each day that need to be done that day. I keep it short that way I can tick everything off! I would forget things if I didn't have a list ;)

Anjiedot said...

I am a huge lister.. Cant help myself, If I don't have a list I don't function!
separate lists for separate roles.I have a carry over list to!
Today I am going to try bullet journalling! keep all lists other than work in 1 book. wish me well..
x

Powered by Blogger.
Follow Me on Pinterest